Tuesday, May 11, 2010

This is how they pay the bill



Not particularly a big fan of Subway. My memory of subway starts from my first stay in LA, we went there when we couldn't come up with any interesting options for lunch.

JJ and I would take a walk, gossip a little bit about our Jennifer, and purchased a vegan sandwich for me, one meat monster for JJ himself, some chicken for Rick. As for Chris, he probably would take anything JJ has.

Back to the time in Subway, the price is similar to what we've got in Taiwan. However, it's one thing very different in Taiwan.

--

The other day I had to drive a long way down to center Taiwan to kick some sorry asses in factory. I had to rush into subway to grab a sandwich, which I don't do usually, since there are always better choices, subway is nothing I accept as daily meal.

I went in, check the menu, back to the time in La we always try to be creative, however I made up my mind just took one of their standard sandwich with cheese and bacon. (of course lots of vegi)

During the waiting time, I saw a 40 something women are stuffing all kinds of ingredient into my 6" wheat bread sandwich, then I want to add more cheese, ask her if she can add up some. She said: 10NTD per piece.

As we all know, in the concept of "one piece of cheese" is supposed to be a square cheese slice. In stead of that, in Subway (TW), they cut it into 2 triangles, make double profit out of it.

OK FINE, make it 2 pieces of cheese.

After meat/ cheese station, I saw another lady started stuffing vegi. After she finished pickles, I ask: Can I have more paprika?

She smiled and replied: SURE!

Then she "pick up" those pickles on my sandwich, 4 or 5 pieces and put them back to the vegi tray, reached into green paprika try pick up like 3 pieces of spicy slice put into my sandwich.

--

THAT, is something I never expected seeing from subway. With a feeling of surprising, I walk out with a sandwich with "less pickles and more paprika instead of a sandwich with extra paprika, one idea flashed in my head:

"This is how moms pay their bill and raise family."

How insightful.

No comments: